Tuesday, July 15, 2008

June Bugs (click for audio file)


Question: My yard has been invaded by green bugs that are about twice the size of Japanese beetles. They buzz around my kids and pets and I am concerned about one of them being bitten or stung.
Answer: The pest is likely a June beetle or as I called them growing up, a June bug. Green June beetles are velvet green with orange or rust stripes along the outer margins of the wing covers. Beetles can range from ½ to 1 inch in length and as you described, they are twice as large as their more destructive relative, the Japanese beetle. Peak flights for this insect started in late June and will continue another couple weeks.
The adults out buzzing around in your yard are probably seeking a mate or there is a good food source that they are attracted to. The adults primarily feed on over ripe fruit but sometimes they feed on leaves of things like peach trees. Since they do have chewing mouthparts it may be possible to be bitten by them but more than likely if you feel something like a bite it is from their spiny legs and they don’t have a stinger. Even though they seem aggressive while buzzing around and I have been scared out of my wits when disturbing a group of them while picking peaches or blackberries I have never been bitten by them.
They will soon complete their lifecycle and lay eggs for a new generation. The eggs will develop into a grub that will develop and overwinter in the soil. These grubs are different from most grub species in the southeast in that they come out of the ground at night and move from one place to another. Even more unusual they crawl on their backs when moving. One of my kids used to do that as an infant so it may not be as unusual as I think. When disturbed the grubs curl up into a C-shape, much like my teenage girls do when I ask them to wash the dishes.
The adults can cause damage to the turf while nesting but it is normally not severe enough to treat with an insecticide. The grubs can actually be beneficial in the turf because small populations of them will aerate the soil while tunneling. However, large populations can cause excessive tunneling causing the grass roots to dry out and die in patches. If control of grubs appears warranted do so in August and September when the grubs are small, close to the surface and more susceptible to pesticides. Most recommended pesticides work best after an irrigation or a soaking rain.
I am not sure how wide spread this problem is in recent years because we get so many more calls about the dreaded Japanese beetle which causes much more damage to ornamental plants. Normally I don’t pay a lot of attention to what one or two folks say about pest numbers but if one of the people is your mother you better listen. In this case while visiting my mother in Cullman Alabama recently she asked me, “do you know, where have all the June bugs gone?” to which I responded, “No – but if you hum a few bars I may be able to pick it up”. After I picked myself up and brushed off a little I asked her what she meant and she swears she has not seen any June bugs since the Japanese beetles arrived a few years back. I would be interested to know if anyone else has observed a decline in June beetles around your home in the last few years. Send me an email with your observations to satisfy my mother’s curiosity. You may drop me a note or a question at gloveta@aces.edu . For more information and control options visit our web site at http://www.aces.edu/ and go to the publications area. We have two relevant publications you may want to read: “Biology and Control of the Green June Beetle” and “Controlling White Grubs on Lawns and Turf”.

No comments: