Monday, October 29, 2007

Chinaberry Tree

This morning I got an unusual question from a lady who was concerned about a plant she felt is missing. What has happened to all the Chinaberry Trees, she asked? Since this plant is considered an invasive weed in our area I was a little surprized. If they are gone I say good riddance to bad rubbish.
Of course the question prompted me to research the plant a little and I found out some interesting things about this species, Melia azedarach. It is in the same family of the highly useful neem tree that we get the safe insecticide from. It is being researched for its insecticidal properties and it is also poisonous to humans.
You may see some pictures and read a description here at the Auburn Forestry Department site.
Chinaberry is native to Southeast Asia and northern Australia. It was introduced into the United States in the mid 1800s for ornamental purposes but is now considered an agressive invasive.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

03/12/2009
I moved to Texas 9/11/2008 and nearly all I think about is the darn Chinaberry Trees that we have on our property. They shed all types of material from their berries, stems, and leaves incessantly. I hate to clean up after them so often/much. They are considered a "dirty" tree to have in your yard. I would like to know more about them and to find if there is any good that can come from them. Or if the news is all bad. Thanks for having an article about the darn tree on your website. Gloria from Texas